A New York City Guide by Yvonne
I had THE most amazing trip to New York and wanted to share all the amazing places, shops, restaurants and bars I discovered with you all in my New York City guide!
I pounded the streets to uncover the heart and soul of the Big Apple. Now, I'm excited to share all my top picks - where to shop, savor, sip, and explore - so you can get the best out of your NYC visit...
S T A Y
Whilst in NYC I stayed at the incredible Marlton Hotel right in the heart of Greenwich Village (which is easily my fav' area in Manhattan). I really wanted to stay in Hotel that had a real 'New York' vibe to it and the Marlton really did fit the bill. This hotel does have a quintessential feel for a proper NYC hotel, the room was pretty dinky but perfectly decorated and super cute. I shared the room with my bestie for 5 nights and we managed to get through it without any 'squabbles' so i'd say thats pretty good going! Overall I would defo recommend the Marlton hotel.
E A T
- Vinegar Hill House, Dinner, $$$$, New American, absolutely delicious, chill vibe, Brooklyn
- Sweet Chick, Lunch, $$, dinner style, signature dish chicken & waffles, Brooklyn
- Cafeteria, Brunch, $$$, Boujie neighbourhood restaurant, full of cool fashionistas, Chelsea
- Baby Brasa, Dinner, $$$, V fun Peruvian, live music, stunning starters, share the mains
- The Penrose, Brunch, $$, fab food chill vibe, Upper Eastside
- Emily, Dinner, $$$, best pizza i’ve ever had, ‘crispy chicken crunchers’ to start essential, West Villiage
- Pastis, Dinner, $$$$, best Lobster in town, booking essential, very popular, Meat Packing
- Van Leeuwen, Ice cream parlour, $$, stunning ice cream (wide variety of vegan), all around NYC
- Magnolia Bakery, $$, Easily the best cupcake (red velvet) I’ve ever had! Carrie went in SATC, Greenwich
- Claudette, $$$, gorgeous lunch/ dinner spot with pretty outdoor seating, Greenwich
- La Carota, $$$$, Incredible Italian, best meal of trip! Calamari starter essential, Greenwich
- Katz Deli, $$, V famous jewish deli serving gigantic salt beef sandwiches!
- Jacks Wife Frida, $$$, really cool & popular brunch/ lunch place,
D R I N K
My trip to NYC was a 'friends' trip so there were lots of times (in between eating and shopping!) where we were up for a little tipple in the city. I of course googled 'best bars in New York' and found a few that way but the best ones we went to were often ones we stumbled across en route to one of the restaurants we had booked. I think my absolute favourite bar of the whole trip was The Up & Up, a speakeasy, underground in a slightly 'less desirable' part of the city! Best French 75 cocktail in the world!
- The Up & Up, Underground speakeasy cocktail bar, $$$$, incredible drinks, West Villiage
- Houston Hall, Craft Beer Hall, $, huge place with fun atmosphere, Greenwich
- Bar Pisellino, $$$, gorgeous corner cafe/ bar with outdoor seats, opposite Carota restaurant
- The Standard, $$$, good for outdoor drinkies by Highline Meatpacking
S H O P
- Glossier, Brooklyn, super cool make up and beauty products
- Stella Dallas, best Vintage clothing and accessories shop, Williamsburg
- Restoration Hardware, high end furniture store, $$$$$, good for homeware inspo’, Meat Packing
- Pop Up Grocer, super cool & unique products, amazing packaging, Bleecker st
- Goods For The Study, really cool & unique stationary, Greenwich
- Farm Rio, gorgeous clothes shop with lush prints and colours, Soho
P L A C E S
If I'm totally honest I didn't visit all that many 'touristy' places on this trip as was enjoying all the bars/ shops/ restaurants too much!! BUT the few places I did visit and do on the trip I LOVED! So here's my few recommends of places to visit while visiting New York..
- Dumbo Flea Market, V good vintage home/clothing/ jewellery stalls, esp gold jewellery 👌🏻
- Carries house SATC, Perry Street, Greenwich
- Turtle Pond, North Central park, so cute to see!
- Little Island, v cool man made island structure on the water with beautiful plants and views, Pier 55
- Central Line Boat tour, good for seeing all the sights in one go incl. Statue of Liberty, 2hr
I hope my little round up of places to visit in New York is helpful and I do intend on returning as soon as physically possible to check out all the places I didn't quite manage to reach this time around! So watch this space for more travel recommends in the near future...